Join the DPRK leg of our ‘Ultimate Leaders Tour‘ with a special visit to Kumsusan Palace of the Sun, where President Kim Il Sung and General Kim Jong Il lie in state. We’ve added this important an sacred Pyongyang site, that has to be seen to be believed, to our classic and extremely popular Ultra Budget tour itinerary for what we believe to be the cheapest ever travel package to take people into the DPRK!
By making use of traveling from Dandong (which is easily reachable from most of China), and the more than comfortable Sosan Hotel in Pyongyang, we are able to offer a great price that has you in the country for 2 nights, 3 days, which is inclusive of one full day seeing all the main sites of Pyongyang, going out both nights of the trip, as well as most importantly seeing all the celebrations that will be taking place around Pyongyang.
This trip is perfect for those people already in China, or those simply traveling through that do not have the time or budget to do a full trip.
Please note: All travellers must have a re-entry visa into China as there isn’t enough time to apply for a Chinese visa in Pyongyang and the 144 hour transfer visa, doesn’t permit rail use.
This tour can be combined with any leg of our Ultimate Leaders Tour, either joining from our Vietnam leg after visiting the mausoleum of Ho Chi Minh in Hanoi or continuing on to Moscow, where we finish with a dose of Lenin in Red Square.
• Meet your YPT guide at 8:00am inside the entrance of the Dandong Railway Station to collect train ticket, DPRK visa and go through DPRK procedure.
• Board the 10.00am train from Dandong.
• 10:15am arrival in Sinuiju to go through DPRK entry procedure.
• Ride on into Pyongyang and enjoy the beautiful countryside along the way.
• Optional lunch on the train (50RMB extra).
• 6:45 pm arrival in Pyongyang to be met by your guides.
• Evening city tour of Pyongyang, including us stopping at Kim Il Sung Square for a walk and pictures.
• Check into the Sosan Hotel.
• Dinner, drinks and overnight in the hotel.
Sunday 28th October
• We get up early, put on our formal wear (suits for men, smart casual for women) and visit the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun where we will see President Kim Il Sung, and General Kim Jong Il lying in state. Without a doubt one of the most impressive and opulent mausoleums in the world.
• Walk through Mansudae Fountain Park and see the mosaic pictures of President Kim Il Sung and the leader Kim Jong Il.
• Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il overlooking the city. (Optional extra- you can present flowers if you wish: small bunches are 2 euro, larger ones 4 euro.)
• Lunch in the KITC restaurant to try the famous local specialty of Pyongyang Cold Noodles or Korean Bibimbap.
• Visit the Foreign Language Bookshop – shopping central for books, pins, DVD’s, CD’s and periodicals in English and other foreign Languages.
• Pyongyang Metro – ride 5 stops on the famous Pyongyang Underground!
• Exiting at the Arch of Triumph – the largest Victory Arch in the world, built to celebrate the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung after the anti-Japanese war.
• Visit the recently renovated Korean War Museum. Let the expert local guide show you around the enormous museum featuring dioramas, locally used weapons, tanks, etc., and captured American equipment!
• USS Pueblo – the only US Naval Ship still held captive by another nation.
• Juche Tower – a monument to the everlasting Juche Ideology (optional 5 euros to go to the top).
• Mansugyo Beer Bar – seven different microbrews on tap, 10RMB each
• Dinner at the National Restaurant with a performance!
• Overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
Monday 29th October
• Slow drive to Pyongyang train station stopping at a few interesting places in the city for last photos.
• Depart Pyongyang by train at 10.25am
• Optional lunch on the train (50RMB extra).
• Arrive in Sinuiju at 3:00pm, go through immigration and exit to Dandong at 5:00pm.
• Completion of tour.
This tour can be combined with any leg of our Ultimate Leaders Tour either joining from our Vietnam leg after visiting the mausoleum of Ho Chi Minh in Hanoi or continuing on to Moscow, where we finish with a dose of Lenin in Red Square.
• Twin share accommodation (single supplements available for an extra 40 EUR per night).
• Train in and out Dandong-Pyongyang-Dandong.
• All meals in the DPRK unless otherwise stated.
• Korean and western guides.
• Air-conditioned bus.
• All entrances (unless otherwise stated).