We have designed our Turkmenistan Impendence Day budget tour to be short and easier on your wallet as you take part in the celebrations in Ashgabat – easily our most favourite nation of “the Stans”.
The tour begins in the ultra-modern capital city of Ashgabat, also known as the “White Marble City” from the abundance of glistening white marble statues and buildings adorned with gold trims. Although statues and pictures of the President for Life, Saparmurat Niyazov – more famously known as “Turkmenbashy” – are still seen on almost every street, park, and at the front of ministry buildings, his successor, Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow has made his own mark on the city.
Here not only will you become one of the small group of foreigners to visit Ashgabat, but you will join the even smaller group of foreigners who have ever had the opportunity to take part in the colourful Independence Day celebrations, getting a truly unique insight into how the Turkmen celebrate their proud day. If you thought an Olympic opening ceremony or the North Korean Mass Games were spectacular, think again.
Once the celebrations in the capital quiet down, we’ll then embark on a drive through the Karakum Desert. Here you’ll explore the Ancient UNESCO world heritage archaeological sites along the Silk Road such as the ancient fortresses, and the very famous Gates of Hell. Turkmenistan is a place oozing in both history and quirkiness.
Monday 25th September – Ashgabat, Turkmenistan
Tuesday 26th September – Ashgabat
Wednesday 27th September – Ashgabat – Nisa – Ashgabat: Turkmenistan Independence Day!
Thursday 28th September – Ashgabat – The Gates of Hell
Friday 29th September – The Gates of Hell – Ashgabat
Want to extend your YPT adventure? Join one of our great tour extensions
• Letter of Invitation
• All transport to complete the tour (incl airport transfers)
• Accommodation based on twin-shared hotel rooms and shared yurts
• Meals during camping
• Local English speaking guides and YPT guide
• All entry fees unless otherwise stated
• Turkmenistan Visa on arrival at Ashgabat Airport ($85 depending on your nationality)
• Immigration tax at the airport ($14)
• International flights to and from Turkmenistan
• Single Supplement ($200)
• Lunch and dinners (except during camping)
• Photo/video fees at certain sites ($2-$10 depending on the site)
• Tips for guides
• Travel insurance
We have expert guides ready to help answer any questions you may have.