Join YPT for a week of Maoist adventure, combined with 5 days of touring North Korea on a tour themed around the relationship between China and North Korea. We’ll be joining a local Communist Party cadre for a discussion group about Maoism and politics in China today, as well as having a discussion group with a North Korean cadre where we can learn more about Korean communism and Juche ideology. This tour is suitable for the first time North Korea visitor, and the political geek alike!
This tour is led by YPT’s China Tours Manager, fluent in Chinese and an expert on Maoist history!
Our time in the commune is sandwiched between a trip to Mao’s birthplace Shaoshan, where we can see ‘red tourism’ in action and get a feel for how modern Chinese people still revere their Chairman – and a day in Beijing, where we visit Mao’s mausoleum in Tiananmen Square, the Museum of the Revolution which tells the story of Mao’s journey from Shaoshan to Beijing, and the Military Museum which concentrates on the ‘War to Resist the US and Aid Korea’.
During our DPRK visit, we’ll drive out of the capital to the grave of Chairman Mao’s own son, Mao Anying, who was killed by a UN napalm attack, reportedly while he was cooking fried rice for his lunch. In Pyongyang, we’ll visit the must-see sights and have an in-depth look in the Korean War Museum, visiting the exhibition on Chinese involvement in the Korean War against the UN and US forces. This section of the Museum is usually out of bounds for anyone but Chinese tourists so gaining access to this is certainly a unique highlight. And no trip to the DPRK is complete without a visit to the DMZ, where North meets South!
Monday 26th June – Beijing – Shaoshan Morning
Tuesday 27th June – Shaoshan Morning
Wednesday 28th June- Shaoshan – Luohe Moring
Thursday 29th July- Nanjiecun Morning
Friday 30th June – Nanjiecun Morning
Saturday 1st July Nanjiecun – Beijing Morning
Sunday 2nd July – Beijing Morning
Monday 3rd July
Tuesday 4th July
Wednesday 5th July Morning
Thursday 6th July Morning
Friday 7th July Morning
Saturday 8th July Morning
Sunday 9th July Morning
• All transport to complete the itinerary
• Accommodation in twin share rooms (Single Supplement €200)
• Breakfasts and lunches
• All entrance tickets unless otherwise stated
• YPT guide throughout and local guide in places
• Twin share accommodation (single supplements are available for an extra €160).
• Train in and out Beijing-Pyongyang-Beijing. Flights are extra.
• All meals in the DPRK unless specified in the itinerary.
• Korean and western guides
• Air-conditioned bus and driver.
• All entrances (unless otherwise stated).
•Chinese visa (contact us for assistance)
•Tips for local guides
• Extra drinks and souvenirs.
• Cost of DPRK visa (€50).
• Tips for Korean guides and the driver.
• Additional events not listed in the itinerary.
We have expert guides ready to help answer any questions you may have.