Young Pioneer Tours

How to get a North Korean visa

North Korea (DPRK) is one of the most closed off countries in the world. However, arranging your North Korean visa through YPT is a very simple process. Below we explain how to get a visa for North Korea.

Step 1: Choose a tour to North Korea

You must join either a scheduled group tour or an arranged independent tour. All tourists to North Korea must be on a guided tour organised by an authorised tour operator such as YPT. It is not possible to travel to North Korea alone without local North Korean guides or to arrange your own North Korean visa by yourself.

Step 2: Contact us

After you have chosen which tour best suits your time, budget and interests – contact us and we will take care of every facet of the visa process for you.

Everything we need from you to complete the visa process can be easily given to us online, we don’t need your physical passport. The North Korean visa is printed on separate piece of paper and isn’t attached to your passport.

We will need to collect the following from you:

  1. A filled-out DPRK visa application form (online)
  2. A photocopy of your passport
  3. A passport-style photo

Once we have the above, we lodge your DPRK visa application. Our success rate with applying for North Korean visas is 100% providing that you are not a journalist travelling as a tourist.

Step 3: Collect your North Korean visa

Your DPRK visa is handed to you at our arranged pre-tour meeting in China or Russia by your YPT guide before you enter North Korea. It’s that simple.

What do I need to enter North Korea?

Regarding documents, all you need on you is your a printed copy of your flight or train tickets, your passport and your North Korean visa. When you are entering the DPRK, you will be given an immigration form and a health check form. Simply fill both forms in with a pen and show to the immigration officer.

Feel free to read our blog for a full comprehensive list of what to pack for North Korea.

How to get a North Korean visa sticker in my passport?

We can arrange for you to receive a North Korea visa sticker in your passport. However, this is only possible if you have a DPRK embassy in your home country. For an example a German national can visit and receive a North Korean visa sticker in their passport at the North Korean embassy in Berlin.

To receive a DPRK sticker in your passport we simply arrange your appointment at the North Korean embassy, you arrive on time with your passport, a printed visa photo and the visa fee in cash.

Which nationalities cannot apply for a North Korean visa?

We can arrange North Korean visas for every nationality except those travelling on a South Korean (Republic of Korea) and United States passport.

I am a dual citizen; can I get a North Korean visa?

If you are a dual citizen of South Korea or the US, we can register your North Korean visa with your second nationality providing that it isn’t South Korean or US.

Does visiting North Korea affect my travel to other countries?

After you have visited North Korea this will not affect your travel to any other countries. Your passport will not be stamped on entry or exit to the DPRK. However, if you wish to visit the United States after your tour to North Korea, you will no longer be eligible for the ESTA visa waiver program (providing you would have been otherwise) and will need to apply for a normal visa from your nearest US embassy or consulate.

You are able to travel to any country, including South Korea and Japan, with no hassle.

Can I visit North Korea after South Korea?

Yes. Having a South Korean visa and/or entry and exit stamps from South Korea in your passport is not a problem If you are living in South Korea with a South Korean residency or study/work permit you are able to visit the DPRK.

Can I visit South Korea after North Korea?

Yes. There are no issues visiting South Korea after your trip with us to North Korea. Declaring with the South Korean immigration that you were in North Korea within the last 14 days is not an issue. However, please note it is illegal to bring in North Korean propaganda items such as postcards or posters to South Korea.

Can I visit North Korea as a journalist?

Yes, we can arrange a special delegation visits for journalists for documentary or research purposes. Please contact us for more information.

Is it safe to visit North Korea?

Despite what you may hear, it is safe to travel to North Korea. The DPRK (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea) is probably one of the safest places on Earth to visit provided you follow the laws and regulations as covered in our booking documents, at our pre-tour briefings, and throughout your stay in the DPRK. For more information regarding “Can I travel to North Korea?” follow the link.

Questions about North Korea

If you have any follow up questions from what is discussed above feel free to get in touch with us and our expert guides will further assist you.

About Post Author