by Andy Khong
Have you ever wondered what goes through the minds of the people who get to name towns and cities? Sometimes, it seems like they have a wicked sense of humour or an exceptionally naughty streak! We’ve scoured the map for the funniest, quirkiest, and downright comical town names, and you won’t believe some of the gems we’ve unearthed.
- Condom, France: If you thought condoms only came in small packages, think again! This French town takes protection to a whole new level!
2. Orgy, France: It seems that France has a knack for risqué town names. Orgy, located not too far from Condom, adds a cheeky twist to your travel plans.
3. Pussy, France: It appears that France isn’t shy about naming its towns provocatively. Pussy, with its charming countryside, is a place you won’t forget easily.
4. Bitche, France: France is on a roll! Bitche is a picturesque town with a name that’ll make you chuckle every time you say it.
5. Die, France: If you’re planning a trip to France and things go awry, you might end up in Die. Don’t worry; it’s not as bad as it sounds!
6. Seix, France: It’s almost as if the French towns are trying to outdo each other in the absurdity department. Seix sounds like a place where life is all about “seix, seix, seix.”
7. Brest, France: Brest is a major French port city, but its name has made it a perennial favourite on lists of funny town names.
8. Sassy, France: Don’t be fooled by its name; Sassy is a charming village known for its hospitality and not for its attitude!
9. Misery, France: It seems like the French have a talent for naming towns that reflect the feelings of weary travellers. Misery is probably a great place to wallow in self-pity.
10. Batcave, North Carolina, United States: While Gotham City’s Batcave may be fictional, there’s a real-life Batcave in North Carolina, USA. Batman would feel right at home! But remember that Batman, does have a city named after him in Turkey. The Mayor of Batman in Turkey tried to sue the producers of Batman Begins for using the city’s name without permission in the Batman films.
11. Fart, Virginia, USA: If you ever find yourself in Virginia and can’t help but chuckle at the town names, you’ve probably reached Fart. I didn’t, did you?
12. Hooker, Oklahoma, USA: Oklahoma has its own sense of humour when it comes to town names. Hooker is a place where everyone’s friendly, we promise! Plus going to Hooker will not draw moral and religious condemnation for your actions!
13. Kill, Ireland: You might want to watch your step in this Irish town. It’s named Kill for a reason!
14. Kissing, Bavaria, Germany: Love is in the air in Kissing, Germany, making it a romantic destination for couples looking to seal their love with a smooch.
15. Lost, Scotland: If you ever feel like you’ve lost your way in Scotland, just remember that Lost is a real place. GPS may be your best friend here!
16. My Large Intestine, Texas, USA: You have to wonder about the thought process behind naming a town My Large Intestine. Maybe it’s because the town’s roads twist and turn like the human digestive tract?
17. Okay, Oklahoma, USA: When you’re asked how your trip is going, you can confidently say, “It’s Okay!” You’ve arrived in Okay, Oklahoma. 🆗
18. Sexi, Santa Cruz, Peru: Peru is not one to be left out of the fun. Sexi is a charming village with a name that’s sure to make you blush.
19. Ugley, Essex, England: England has its share of quirky town names, and Ugley is a prime example. But don’t let the name fool you; it’s a delightful place to visit.
20. Ham, Belgium: Who wouldn’t want to visit a town named after a delicious meat? Ham in Belgium is a must-visit for foodies; but this city is not “halal”!
21. Two Egg, Florida, USA: If you’re ever in Florida and fancy a unique breakfast, head to Two Egg. You might get more than you bargained for! Combine it with Ham (#20), and it would be nicer breakfast!
22. Why Not, North Carolina, USA: When choosing a travel destination, Why Not go to Why Not? It’s a town where spontaneity is encouraged. And there is the town of Why, Arizona if you also want to go there to find out Why and Why Not!
23. Anus: There are 6 towns in the world called Anus – 3 in the Philippines, 1 in Namibia, 1 in Indonesia, and 1 in France. Wonder if the planet Uranus is the butt of jokes in these cities!
These town names remind us that humour can be found in the most unexpected places. Whether you’re exploring the French countryside, wandering through the American heartland, or anywhere in the world, you’re sure to come across some towns that will leave you laughing or scratching your head in wonder. So, the next time you plan a trip, consider adding a few of these quirky destinations to your itinerary – you won’t be disappointed!
Cities with Unforgettably Funny Names (Part 1)
Cities with the Longest Alphabets and Names
Vagina Falls in the Philippines