Starting in Almaty, the cosmopolitan centre of Central Asia and the former Soviet capital of Kazakhstan, this tour winds its way through some of the weirdest and most wonderful parts of Kazakhstan, before eventually finishing in Astana, the country’s new capital, and a showcase to the all-powerful President’s love for unique architecture.
On the way, you’ll see 13th Century mausoleums in Turkestan, and abandoned ships in the ever-receding Aral Sea. After hanging out with some fishermen, you’ll then get to Baikonur, the Russian Cosmodrome, where not only will we get to see some of the world’s most famous rockets, but we might even get to see a real-life rocket launch!
Continuing on from Baikonur, you’ll see some of Kazakhstan’s natural wonders on the Mangyshlak Peninsula. Staying in yurts and learning some of the traditional ways of life of nomadic Kazakhs, we’ll explore the valleys, canyons and weird rock formations of the region, of which our favourite is the Valley of the Balls. Yep, it’s a large valley covered in large rock balls.
Day 1 – Thursday 5th July
Day 2 – Friday 6th July
Day 3 – Saturday 7th July
Day 4 – Sunday 8th July
Day 5 – Monday 9th July
Day 6 – Tuesday 10th July
Day 7 – Wednesday 11th July
Day 8 – Thursday 12th July
Day 9 – Friday 13th July
Day 10 – Saturday 14th July
Day 11 – Sunday 15th July
Want to extend your YPT adventure? Join one of our great tour extensions
– Transport according to the itinerary
– Permits and entry to Baikonur Cosmodrome
– Accommodation according to the itinerary
– Camping equipment – tent, sleeping bag and sleeping mat
– English speaking local guide and Western YPT guide
– Entrance fees according to the itinerary
– Breakfast every day, lunch on Days 4, 9, 10 and 11 and dinner on Days 4, 9 and 10
– Water every day
– Visa or LOI for Kazakhstan (many nationalities no longer require this – if you do we will help you with this process)
– Transport to Almaty at the beginning, and from Astana at the end of the tour
– Meals other than those stipulated
– Activities outside the itinerary
– Other expenses such as drinks, souvenirs, etc.
– Single supplement ($440 per person, only in hotels in cities)
We have expert guides ready to help answer any questions you may have.