Extend your stay in North Korea from any of our group tours and visit the east coast of the Korean peninsula to the gorgeous and very sunny city of Wonsan.
This is a very popular holiday destination for North Koreans all over the DPRK. Here you’ll try the delicious and very fresh seafood caught along the bay and to spend a special morning soaking up the sun and enjoying the beach amongst the North Korean locals. The beach stretches for over a few kilometres and is located right next to Songdowon Hotel where your accommodation is arranged.
Off the bay is a small island called Chok Islet which the locals have built a long pier that connects the mainland to the island. Here it’s possible to take a stroll and watch the locals fish, as well as sampling the catch of the day. You’ll also explore the newly renovated International Children’s Summer Camp and other sites of Wonsan city.
Footballs, volleyballs, badminton, rowing boats, swimming gear and BBQ are available for hire on the beach.
Tour extension cost – 1 person – €478, 2+ people – €390 per person
- Breakfast in Pyongyang and drive to Wonsan city (3 hours) stopping at Sinpyong Lagoon along the way for a quick rest and refreshments
- Picnic lunch at Ulim Waterfall – one of the most famous and beautiful waterfalls in the DPRK
- Arrive in Wonsan, check into Songdowon Hotel overlooking the city and the bay
- Visit Songdowon International Children’s Union Camp – This recently renovated summer camp was designed for children in both the DPRK and for international guests. Its facilities include a waterpark, dormitories, aquatic centre, aviary, track & field and a beach
- Walk along the pier to Chok Islet where the locals will be fishing, drinking and enjoying their own BBQs with friends and family. Here you have the option of trying the fresh catch of the day for 5 euros or 40RMB, this will give you a good mix of everything
- Dinner at a nearby famous seafood restaurant along the waterfront
- Overnight at Songdowon Hotel
- Take a walk around Wonsan Central Square and the nearby port to see DPRK’s very own cruise ship named the Mangyongbong-92
- Visit the former Railway Station which has now been converted into a Revolutionary site with an old Japanese stream engine left over by the Japanese during the Korean occupation
- Trip highlight – Visit Wonsan Beach for a swim, sunbathe, or to play beach games with the locals (the entry to the beach is 2 euros or 15RMB per person and optional BBQ on the beach available 5 euros or 40RMB per person)
- Lunch at a local restaurant to sample famous local dishes
- Drive back to Pyongyang (3 hours)
- Stop by the Tomb of King Tongmyong – the founder of the ancient Koguryeo Kingdom
- Dinner at a local Pyongyang restaurant
- Overnight in Sosan Hotel
- Option 1 (included): Depart at 10:25am on the overnight train to Beijing and enjoy the peaceful countryside of both the DPRK and China. The train will first arrive at Dandong Railway Station at 4:30pm, and then Beijing Railway Station the following day at 8:30am. Please note: if you’re doing this extension from an Ultra Budget tour the overnight train from Dandong to Beijing is not included in the tour cost.
- Option 2: €370 extra per person – flight from Pyongyang Airport to Beijing Capital Airport. Please check flight schedule with us to confirm times.