Our Sinuiju overnight extension gives you the perfect opportunity to get a deeper look at rural North Korean life outside of Pyongyang as well as a chance to explore Dongrim, a small remote town further south of Sinuiju city.
Sinuiju is located on the Chinese border, opposite Dandong city, with the Yalu River dividing the countries. With a population of 360,000 residents, it’s North Korea’s largest border town with its own unique characteristics.
During your tour, you’ll visit Sinuiju’s grand central square where the bronze statues of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il stand, watch a unique children’s performance at the local kindergarten, visit a revolutionary museum, inspect a cosmetics factory, visit a local folklore park to mingle with the locals, enjoy a hike to Dongrim Waterfall, and explore the Yalu riverbanks that divides North Korea and China.
This region only recently opened to foreign tourists in 2014 and sees very few visitors each year. This is well off the beaten path so why not make the most of your journey to Pyongyang and include this extension before or after your visit.
Tour extension cost – 1 person – €239, 2+ people – €195 per person
- Depart Pyongyang by train at 10:25am and arrive in the remote village of Dongrim at 2:30pm – Dongrim is the nearest town outside of Sinuiju, located south amongst the valleys of the east coast of the peninsula.
- Your local Korean guides will meet you as you step onto the platform
- Drive to Dongrim Hotel to check-in and prepare for afternoon hiking
- Hike to Dongrim Waterfall and explore surrounding valley of the mountain range, during warmer weather you can take a dip beneath the waterfall
- Dinner and overnight at the Dongrim Hotel – a brand new swanky hotel with a swimming pool. sauna, table tennis, massage, bars, karaoke, tennis, basketball and volleyball courts.
- 1 hour drive to Sinuiju city on the way stopping at:
- Sinamri Co-operative farm – we’ll look out to where the locals grow rice, cabbage, chilli and cucumbers
- Tour the Pomhayanggi Cosmetics Factory and meet some of the local workers that produce some of DPRKorea’s most famous cosmetics
- Visit the mosaic images of the “Three Tigers of Mt. Paektu” Kim Il Sung, Kim Jong Il and Kim Jong Suk.
- Explore the large central square of Sinuiju and see the statue of President Kim Il Sung and General Kim Jong Il
- Visit the North Phyongan Province Revolutionary History Museum – This will go into detail about the history of the local province.
- Lunch at Myohyangsan Travel Company Restaurant which also features a great souvenir shop.
- Head to the local Folklore Park where there may be chances to engage in traditional Korean activities and some more modern activities too (extra charges apply for partaking in the local games, these will vary from game to game) or you can simply walk around and enjoy the scenery and watch the locals
- Visit the Art Studio which holds over 250 pieces of DPRK fine arts in six large halls – some very cool and eye opening art pieces here!
- Bonbu Kindergarten and performance – Famous for training the Children who perform in the skipping scene of the Arirang Mass games as well as its long history of training artistic performers. The performance here is the best of any Kindergarten in the country.
- Explore Amnok park and walk down to the Amnok River (Yalu River) and see the original Korean/Chinese Friendship Bridge bombed by the Americans during the Korean War. Very few tourist are able to view the bridge from the DPRK side!
- Board the 4:30pm bus and go through Korean customs to finish tour in Dandong, China.
- Board the 6:30pm overnight train from Dandong to Beijing arriving at Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am
Please note: if you’re doing this extension from an Ultra Budget tour the overnight train from Dandong to Beijing is not included in the tour cost. We can arrange your train ticket back to Beijing. When crossing from Sinuiju back into Dandong a customs fee of 50RMB is required to be paid in cash at the border immigration.