Dandong offers many interesting glimpses on the influence North Korea has on a Chinese city. You’ll start your morning by heading north of the city and walking to the very end of the Great Wall of China with spectacular views of North Korea below as well as encountering the narrowest point between China and North Korea.
You’ll then be guided along Mt. Jinjiang – Dandong’s highest mountain to explore an opening of an abandoned underground bunker used during the Korean War, and continue to the top for incredible views of Dandong and North Korea. On the walk down you’ll pass through a retro Soviet theme park and zoo.
Time to jump aboard a boat and cruise down the Yalu River giving you the chance of a closer look at North Korea with scenic views of Dandong. You’ll finish the tour by walking along the Broken Bridge lined with Chinese propaganda.
Explore the Chinese border town city of Dandong with us as a stand alone tour or as you’re making your way in or out of North Korea.
€75 per person – Inclusive of ticket entrances, transport, YPT guide and lunch
- Our YPT guide and driver will meet you in the lobby of your hotel
- Visit the most eastern part of the Great Wall of China at Tiger Mountain – This is famous for the ‘one meter hop’ as it is the narrowest point between China and North Korea.
- Head back into Dandong city and we’ll go for a gentle hike up to Mt. Jinjiang to overlook Dandong city with Sinuiju in the near distance. Here we can explore the opening of an abandoned underground bunker Mao Zedong constructed to help store ammunition for the Chinese during the Korean War. There’s also an old soviet style theme park and zoo opened in the early 1980s.
- Lunch at local Dandong restaurant to experience true Northeast Chinese (Dongbei) food – whole hearty dishes of meat, vegetables and tofu.
- Jump aboard a boat and travel down the Yalu River, the river that separates China and the DPRK. This will give you incredible photo opportunities to take of North Korea, Sinuiju Port, the Sino-Korean Friendship Bridge and Broken Bridge that was built by the Japanese and destroyed by the Americans during the Korean War.
- After disembarking the boat, now is your chance to walk along the destroyed Friendship Bridge and see Chinese propaganda lead towards North Korea.
- Tour concludes with a walking tour along the Yalu River