Continue your North Korean tour with our DMZ day tour extension. Our DMZ tour will take you further south of Pyongyang to Panmunjom Village where North and South Korea officially meet to exchange talks. The extension also includes exploring Kaesong city, only 8 kilometres from the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ) border, as well as Sariwon city located halfway between Pyongyang and Kaesong. That’s two rural North Korean cities in one day.
The DMZ is strictly a no man’s land which divides the Korean peninsula into two nations. With landmines, high concrete walls, tank traps and soldiers guarding this area 24/7. It is dubbed the tensest border in the world. Panmunjom is the only area where tourists from both North and South Korea are allowed to visit with access to the UN owned “blue hut” which gives you the advantage of technically standing in both Koreas at once.
Tour extension cost – 1 person – €239, 2+ people – €195 per person
- Breakfast in Pyongyang and drive down to Kaesong city (2 and a half hours) stopping for a quick rest and refreshments on the way at a local tea house
- Visit Panmunjom DMZ Village – see the DMZ and conference rooms where the armistice agreement was signed that halted the Korean War. You will be guided by your very own Korean People’s Army officer – pictures with the officer and his men are allowed
- Koryo Museum – the oldest university in Korea and now a converted museum of local history. Located next door is the best propaganda and stamp/postcard shop in the DPRK
- Lunch at a local restaurant in Kaesong city – try your hand at traditional Korean Pansangi – a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Option extra – dog meat soup or as the locals call it ‘sweet soup’ for 40RMB or 5 euros per person)
- Drive 30 minutes to visit the Tomb of King Kongmin – one of the King’s of the Koryo dynasty. Buried next to his queen, the Japanese blew up the tomb and raided the treasures within. The tomb has been restored and offers incredible scenic views.
- Drive to Sariwon city (1 and a half hours) – this city is the capital of North Hwanghae province. Here you’ll explore a local folklore park and walk up the highest hill in the city for a fantastic panoramic view of the city. There’s a stall nearby where you’ll be able to try some local Makkoli – a fermented rice beverage for 5RMB.
- Continue driving back to Pyongyang stopping at the Reunification Monument for an explanation of the Three Charters of Reunification – a fantastic photo opportunity
- Dinner and drinks at a local restaurant in Pyongyang
- Overnight at the Sosan Hotel
- Option 1 (included): Depart at 10:25am on the overnight train to Beijing and enjoy the peaceful countryside of both the DPRK and China. The train will first arrive at Dandong Railway Station at 4:30pm, and then Beijing Railway Station the following day at 8:30am. Please note: if you’re doing this extension from an Ultra Budget tour the overnight train from Dandong to Beijing is not included in the tour cost.
- Option 2: €370 extra per person – flight from Pyongyang Airport to Beijing Capital Airport. Please check flight schedule with us to confirm times.