The capital city of the Qin and Tang dynasties, home to the Terracotta Warriors and starting point for the historic Silk Road, Xi’an is one of the must-see cities of China.
Our YPT local guide takes you around the main sights of the city, spending a half-day out at the Terracotta Warriors and Banpo Archaeological Site. We’ll take in the sights and tastes of the Muslim Quarter, exploring the markets and alleyways and visiting the Great Mosque, before we take in a fountain show at the Big Wild Goose Pagoda in the evening.
We organize airport/train station pick up and drop off, and there are a choice of accommodation options for you to choose from.
- Drive out to Lintong County (1 hour)
- Visit Banpo Museum, site of a Neolithic matriarchal civilisation with extensive English descriptions in the exhibitions
- Continue on to the Terracotta Warriors and Horses and visit all three pits and the museum
- Drive back to the city for lunch of Xi’an biangbiang noodles in the Muslim Quarter, see if you can decipher ‘biang’ – the most complicated Chinese character to exist?
- Walking tour of the Bell Tower and Drum Tower, the Muslim Quarter and the Grand Mosque, explore the alleyways and markets of the Muslim Quarter where Han Chinese mix with Hui, Uyghur and even Kazakh Muslims at the historic start of the Silk Road. Don’t miss the sour plum juice, array of dates and fruit, or spicy barbecue snacks including goat’s feet!
- Grab a tuktuk down to the South Gate of the city walls, checking out the Shuyuanmen art district on the way. This leafy area right next to the city walls is a tranquil contrast to the bustling Muslim Quarter.
- Wander through Huancheng Park getting great views of the South Gate.
- Dinner of local Xi’an food – we recommend the mutton soup and Xi’an bread, or the cold noodles with a stewed pork bun!
- Head down to the Big Wild Goose Pagoda and watch the evening music fountain show, where the large fountain area north of the Pagoda is lit with neon lights and the water rises and falls to Chinese or Western classical music.
- Return to the city centre for drinks in the South Gate bar area.
This itinerary can be spread over two half days depending on your arrival time into Xi’an
Tour: 1 person – €150 // 2-5 people – €120pp / 6+ people – €100 pp
- Youth Hostel Bed in a 4 Bed Dormitory – Shuyuan Youth Hostel – €10
- 3* Hotel Double Room – Home Inn – €45
- 4* Hotel Double Room – The Bell Tower Hotel – €75
- 5* Hotel Double Room – Sofitel Xi’an – €120
*All accommodation is centrally located, prices and availability are not guaranteed in busy season (1st May week, 1st October week, and July/August), YPT reserves the right to book alternative hotel at the same rate advertised
Airport pick up / drop off: €30 per car, for larger groups €45 per minibus
Tour price includes:
- English speaking local guide
- All transportation in Xi’an
- Lunch and dinner
- Entrance tickets to the Terracotta Warriors, Banpo Museum and the Great Mosque
Tour price excludes:
- Snacks and drinks
- Extra travel, or personal expenses not mentioned in the itinerary
- Tips for the local guide