Yough Pioneer Tours

Why Do I Need Travel Insurance?

Even though we bring you to “places your mother would rather you stay away from”, this doesn’t necessarily mean they are dangerous places! For many reasons though, we do strongly recommend that travellers to all our destinations have travel insurance. Although places like the DPRK ostensibly has free medical care this does not extend to foreign visitors, and the expenses for foreign treatment can be very expensive.

Further, in the case of serious treatment (such as surgery) being necessary, the United Nations recommends evacuation by air for treatment in a more developed country. This can cost upwards of 20,000 euro just for the air lift. Of course such situations are rare, but accidents or medical conditions can happen anywhere and it’s best to be prepared.

Theft and other crimes against foreigners are almost unheard of in the DPRK for example, but as with anywhere it doesn’t hurt to have your valuables insured. The right policy can also help you recover some of the cost if you need to cancel your trip at late notice, protect your valuable equipment, protect you from personal liability, provide emergency dental coverage and more.

Who do we use?

We recommend using PICC Insurance, the largest insurance company in China. We can arrange your North Korean travel insurance for you.

– 1-5 days: 40 Euro
– 6-8 days: 50 Euro
– 9-11 days: 60 Euro
– 12-14 days: 70

Euro Each policy covers:

– Emergency and hospitalisation expenses: up to 350,000RMB
– Accidental death/disabilities: up to 100,000RMB
– Emergency medical delivery costs compensation: up to 600,000RMB
– Funeral insurance: 120,000RMB

Total coverage: up to 1,170,000RMB

Of course before you book any travel insurance make sure you read the policy carefully and are aware of the fine print, especially the exclusions. Some key things to watch out for with your policy are*:

  • Country Exclusions- Make sure all the places you’re going during your trip are covered!
  • Dangerous activities- Let’s be realistic, most insurers don’t cover extremely dangerous activities. So be aware of what is and isn’t covered and contact the provider if you aren’t sure, BEFORE you need to make a claim.
  • Work Exclusions- Now obviously you won’t be working in North Korea, Iran or any of our other destinations, but if you’re taking a much longer trip, make sure that the little teaching job you’ve lined up in South East Asia or that job in a hostel bar in South America won’t void your policy.
  • Per item maximums- If you have high value equipment like high quality camera lenses, you may need separate coverage for those specific items. There’s little point getting a policy that has a maximum payout on camera equipment of 1,000 dollars when your cheapest lens is worth twice that.
  • Excess- Basically the cost of making a claim. Check that your insurer has a reasonable excess or it’s only useful for extreme situations.
  • Personal Liability- Should you accidentally (or negligently) cause damage to the property of others and get sued, are you offered any protection? (Like third party insurance for your car but for yourself.)
  • Evacuation- Should you need to get home in a hurry due to medical or other circumstances are the costs of evacuation covered in your policy?

* The above are only some specific items that some travellers tend to overlook. Be sure to consider your own personal circumstances and requirements when selecting an insurance policy.