‘’Russia is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma’’ – Winston Churchill
At its height the Soviet Union stretched for over 6,800 miles (10,900 kilometres) from east to west, covering 11 of the world’s 24 time zones. It was home to over 100 distinct national ethnicities and 123 languages. As a result, the geopolitical reality of the lands that make up the former USSR are often difficult to understand.
Luckily, thanks to over a decade of experience of working across this fascinating expanse of land, we have developed an in-depth political, economic, geographic and cultural knowledge of the former Soviet Union and have access to a wealth of exclusive local contacts, fixers and drivers who can provide essential assistance.
In the past we have successfully helped to set up new businesses within the post-Soviet sphere, and assisted NGOs in their creation of new development projects and cultural initiatives in the most remote corners of the vast former Soviet empire. Through our vast wealth of local contacts we have also been responsible for providing up-to-date, precise and thorough on-the-ground reports and dossiers for diplomats, politicians, business representatives, institutions, and investors.
Soviet Wastelands also have an experienced and dedicated international security department who specialise in high-risk and hostile environments. Whilst our main tasks are international protection services for news correspondents, film crews and journalists, we are also often called upon to provide security teams for business executives, NGO staff and VIPs.
We understand that global security concerns are increasingly complex and we always design a bespoke, discreet service for each individual client. If you require the expertise of our team and to tap into our decade of experience in this part of the world, then contact us for full onsite assistance and access to our reliable local team who can provide translation, driving, fixing and problem-solving skills.
The Soviet Wastelands team can provide intelligence and security services in the following locations:
- North & South Caucasus: Chechnya, Dagestan, Circassia, Ingushetia, Ossetia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia
- Unrecognised Countries: Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Nagorno Karabakh, Crimea, Somaliland, Transnistria, North Cyprus, Donbass.
- Central Asia: Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Karakalpakstan, Afghanistan.
- Siberia: Tuva, Altai, Yakutia, Buryatia, Khakassia
- Russian Far East: Kamchatka, Birobidzhan, Chukotka, Sakhalin, Kuril Islands, Magadan.
- Northern Russia: Yamal Peninsula, Nenets Autonomous Okrug, Yugra, Karelia, Komi Republic, Kola Peninsula, Norilsk, Kola, Evenkia, Northern Islands.
- Eastern Europe: Ukraine, Moldova, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia.
- Balkans and the former Yugoslavia: Romania, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Republika Srpska, Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Serbia.