From our experience Merv is one of the world’s most interesting ruins. It has been the site of settlements for millenniums until two hundred years ago. A visit through Merv is a walk through time, as half a dozen civilizations have left their mark here. Along with an expert English speaking guide, take a day before or after your Turkmenistan tour with us and not miss out on this astonishing site.
| Number of people|
Price per person (USD)
|1 person||$460 per person|
|2 or 3 persons||$330 per person|
- Early pick up from your hotel in Ashgabat or meet at Ashgabat airport for the morning departure flight to Mary – usually departs around 6:20am – total flight time 40 minutes.
- Arrive in Mary and meet your local guide
- Visit the modern city of Mary – named after the mother of Jesus because in Kerait tradition this is where she is buried.
- Drive to Ancient Merv (UNESCO) and begin exploring what was once the world’s largest city, destroyed by Genghis Khan’s son and the Mongols in 1221CE.
- Visit the Mary Museum – established after the revolution in 1968, it offers a window into the history and culture of Mary from ancient times to the present day with its unique exhibits. It is considered one of the most important museums in Central Asia and a must for those seeking knowledge on Turkmenistan’s cultural heritage.
- Explore Juma mosque – also known as Gurbanguly Hajji Mosque, famous for its white marble facade, golden dome and four minarets. Inaugurated in 2009, this mosque is a magnificent display of modern Islamic buildings.
- Visit Zelyony Bazaar (the local bazaar) – which is full of stalls selling everything from souvenirs to spices, rugs, local clothing, vegetables, and animals.
- Drop by the Pokrovskaya Church – a Russian-orthodox church built when Russian forces seized the city. The church is made entirely of red brick paying homage to architecture in St. Petersburg and Moscow.
- Return to the airport to catch the evening flight back to Ashgabat.
- Arrive in Ashgabat and be transferred to your hotel or if you have an evening flight you tour can also conclude at Ashgabat airport.
Inclusions and Exclusions
Price inclusive of:
- Private transportation
- Return domestic flights (Ashgabat – Mary – Ashgabat)
- Local English speaking guide
- Travel permit and entrance fees
Price exclusive of:
- Accommodation in Ashgabat (this will be counted separately as per your specific situation)
- Meals during the day (approx $10 per meal)
- Souvenirs and other personal items
- Tips for local guides and drivers