A full two day tour, is our most popular way to see the Chernobyl exclusion zone in an unrushed way, heading deeper into the exclusion zone and packed with more abandoned Soviet sites than you can shake a hammer and sickle at! After pickup in the morning from your hotel or apartment in Kiev, we will drive you to the exclusion zone with a stop for breakfast on the way. After clearing the control, we enter the exclusion zone and explore the ghost city of Pripyat, enjoy lunch in the Chernobyl workers canteen, visit the Duga Radar system and surrounding military base, getting as close as is allowed to the infamous Reactor No. 4. We’ll then stop at the only store in Chernobyl for snacks, beer and vodka before heading out for an evening meal in the only restaurant in Chernobyl town. We’ll then head back to the hotel for some evening drinks.
On the second day we have the zone to ourselves in the morning as no other tour groups will have arrived yet. We check out the Abandoned Synagogue, cinema, vehicles, bus station, abandoned checkpoints, schools, and factories, before returning to Kiev around 18:00/19:00. This is your tour, so even if you are only one person you still get a guide, and transport. No one will be added to your group.
Bookings ideally need to be done more than 11 days in advance for us to receive your Chernobyl permit.
Price includes all meals on both days of the trip as well as all relevant permits, transportation and guides. For groups of larger than 20 please get in touch for a generous group discount quote.
2 DAY TOUR
- Around 8am, you will be met at your Kiev hotel or a destination of your choice in the city by our Geiger carrying Chernobyl guides and comfortable minibuses.
- We then head out of Kiev and stop at a gas station/supermarket en-route to pick up snacks and supplies. After around two hours, we reach the outer checkpoint of the Chernobyl exclusion zone, if we are lucky, there will be a Soviet tank on guard. When entry procedures are complete and the Ukrainian army checks our passports, we will be granted entry to the zone.
- We will then visit the village Zalissa, Chernobyl town, the memorial to Fukushima, the statue of Vladimir Lenin, the abandoned Synagogue and the only church still active in the exclusion zone.
- We then have lunch at the cafeteria used by the Chernobyl workers, the food is great and wholesome and don’t worry, no produce is grown on site.
- We then continue our exploration by visiting the docks with shipwrecks, long abandoned supermarkets with shopping carts still in the aisles, the monument to the Chernobyl firefighters, exhibition of the remotely operated machines used in the disaster, hills of Kopachi which was once an entire village village but buried during the disaster, abandoned kindergarten, panoramic view of the Chernobyl power plant and sarcophagus, the entrance sign to Pripyat, the bridge of death, Lenin street, the main square of Pripyat, the abandoned amusement park and ferris wheel, we round off the day with a look at the former Olympic swimming pool in Pripyat.
- We then head back to our hotel in Chernobyl town and have dinner and vodka and spend the night in the zone.
- We have an early start and grab breakfast at the hotel.
- We then board our minibus and continue our tour of the exclusion zone.
- First, we will visit the Duga, or the “Russian Woodpecker,” a gigantic Soviet radar system that was designed as an early warning detection system against nuclear missiles, it now lies eerily abandoned surrounded by a deserted Soviet army base.
- We then walk down the railway track and visit the Cooling towers on the side of the unfinished reactors 5 & 6.
- We visit the red forest and the fish farm.
- Visit the buildings with Soviet emblems, Palace of Culture and Jupiter factory, Pripyat hospital and morgue.
- We will see the Pripyat passenger boats on River Port, the Prometheus cinema and both the music school and the athletic stadium.
- We round off the day by seeing the Laboratory in the old kindergarten and Pripyat bus station.
- We then board our minibus, bid farewell to Chernobyl and drive back to Kiev, passing radiation control on the way back out of the zone.