One full day tour to Chernobyl that begins early in the morning from your hotel or apartment in Kiev and driving you to the exclusion zone with a stop for breakfast on the way. After clearing the control, we enter the exclusion zone and explore the ghost city of Pripyat, enjoy lunch in the Chernobyl workers canteen, visit the Duga Radar system and surrounding military base, getting as close as is allowed to the infamous Reactor No. 4 and back to Kiev around 18:00/19:00. This is your tour, so even if you are only one person you still get a guide, and transport. No one will be added to your group.
Bookings ideally need to be done more than 11 days in advance for us to receive your Chernobyl permit. This is a restricted area.
For groups of larger than 20 please get in touch for a generous group discount quote.
One Day Tour
- Between 7am and 8am, you will be met at your Kiev hotel or a destination of your choice in the city by our Geiger carrying Chernobyl guides and comfortable minibuses.
- We then head out of Kiev early enough to avoid rush hour traffic and stop at a well stocked gas station/supermarket en-route to pick up snacks and supplies. After around two hours, we reach the outer checkpoint of the Chernobyl exclusion zone, if we are lucky, there will be a Soviet era tank on guard. When entry procedures are complete and the Ukrainian army checks our passports, we will be granted entry to the zone.
- First stop will be the Soviet entrance sign to Chernobyl, we will then visit the eerie abandoned Kinder Garden in Kopachi Village still strewn with childrens toys.
- Drive through various abandoned villages on the outskirts of the exclusion zone.
- See the incredible Duga-2 radar system, a sight to behold as it dominates the skyline and stretches for miles, it is surrounded by a sprawling Soviet Army base which we will also explore.
- We then have lunch at the cafeteria used by the Chernobyl workers, the food is great and wholesome and don’t worry, no produce is grown on site.
- We will visit Pripyat Town and take in the Amusement Park, Main Square, theatre and swimming pool before a walk around streets seeing supermarkets, hotels and other important sites.
- Tour the Chernobyl Industrial Zone taking in the view of the new roof covering the Reactor Nr.4 before stopping for photographs.
- We will drive along the cooling channels before walking along the railway lines to see the ruins of the Unfinished Cooling Tower of Reactors 5 & 6.
- If weather conditions allow, we will walk along the railway bridge and see the giant catfish sometimes appearing in the water below.
- We then board our minibus, bid farewell to Chernobyl and drive back to Kiev.