Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan are two of our favourite destinations. In the ‘Essentials tour’, we will explore some of the sites that are even more off the beaten track. We’ll see a truly amazing mix of Silk Road and Soviet histories as we explore both the main attractions and some of the more unique sites in these two fascinating Central Asian republics.
In Uzbekistan, we will explore the biggest working solar furnace in the world and ride some roller coasters at Tashkentland. We’ll explore Yangiabad, a formerly closed Soviet town inhabited by German miners, and will peer into one of the earth’s most infamous man-made natural disasters, the elusive Aral Sea.
In Turkmenistan, we’ll be the only tourists exploring Konye Urgench, a UNESCO world heritage site, and the former capital Khwarezm, a part of the Achaemenid Empire. We will, of course, visit the amazing and truly spectacular ‘Gates of Hell’, camping there overnight, before arriving in Turkmenistan’s spectacular capital city of Ashgabat. And finally we’ll finish with a canyon, and a yet-to-be-finished, but already abandoned beach resort.
This tour is great for those who want to explore these amazing countries a little bit more in depth or for returners.
The LOI application process for Turkmenistan is quite complicated and time-consuming. For the best chance of approval, please get in at least 3 months in advance. Late applications are accepted but the approval rate goes down, in most cases you will get a full refund if the application is rejected.
Day 1 – Monday June 11th
Day 2 – Tuesday June 12th
Day 3 – Wednesday June 13th
Day 4 – Thursday June 14th
Day 5 – Friday June 15th
Day 6 – Saturday June 16th
Day 7 – Sunday June 17th
Day 8 – Monday June 18th
Day 9 – Tuesday June 19th
Day 10 – Wednesday June 20th
Day 11 – Thursday June 21st
Day 12 – Friday June 22nd
– LOI and registration in Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan
– All transport according to the itinerary
– Local English speaking guide and Western YPT guide
– Accommodation according to itinerary in twin/double share
– Entrance fees to all sites outlined on the itinerary
– Breakfast every day and dinner on Day 5 and Day 8
– Travel arrangements to Tashkent at the start of the tour, and from Ashgabat at the end of the tour
– Visas for Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan
– Meals other than those stipulated (allow up to $10 per meal) and drinks
– Single supplement for accommodation ($245)
– Photo/video fees at sites (not at all sites, but usually $2-10 depending on the site)
– Tips for guides (not obligatory, and up to your personal discretion)
– Any other personal expenses such as souvenirs
We have expert guides ready to help answer any questions you may have.