Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan are two of our favourite destinations. In this Grand Tour, we will explore some of the sites that are even more off the beaten track. We’ll see a truly amazing mix of Silk Road and Soviet histories as we explore both the main attractions and some of the more unique sites in these two fascinating Central Asian republics.
In Uzbekistan, we will visit a still-working Soviet-built solar furnace and ride roller coasters at Tashkentland. We’ll explore Yangiabad, a formerly closed Soviet town inhabited by exiled miners, and will peer into one of earth’s most infamous man-made natural disasters, the elusive Aral Sea.
Continuing on to Turkmenistan, you’ll get to see the famous “White City” of Ashgabat, aptly name for its white marble facades, gold monuments and buildings with titles such as the “Wheel of Enlightenment” and the “Arch of Neutrality”. From Ashgabat we’ll take a drive through the Karakum Desert to the eternally burning fire crater known as the “Gates of Hell”, before visiting the futuristic ghost-town beach resort of Avaza and a canyon grander than the Grand Canyon, that even many Turkmens don’t know exist.
After heading back to Ashgabat where Group A concludes, the tour will head east to Merv – the Silk Road city that was once the largest city in the world. Heading even further east into the remotest corner of Turkmenistan we’ll climb onto the largest repository of dinosaur footprints in the world, see a cave covered in cloth stalactites, take a natural mud bath and bend over for a goat massage.
This tour is great for those who want to explore these amazing countries a little bit more in depth or for returners.
The LOI application process for Turkmenistan is quite complicated and time-consuming. For the best chance of approval, please get in at least 3 months in advance. Late applications are accepted but the approval rate goes down, in most cases you will get a full refund if the application is rejected.
Day 1 – Friday June 14th
Day 2 – Saturday June 15th
Day 3 – Sunday June 16th
Day 4 – Monday June 17th
Day 5 – Tuesday June 18th
Day 6 – Wednesday June 19th
Day 7 – Thursday June 20th
Day 8 – Friday June 21st
Day 9 – Saturday June 22nd
Day 10 – Sunday June 23rd
Day 11 – Monday June 24th
Day 12 – Tuesday June 25th
Day 13 – Wednesday June 26th
Day 14 – Thursday June 27th
Day 15 – Friday June 28th
Day 16 – Saturday June 29th
Day 17 – Sunday June 30th
Day 18 – Monday July 1st
Day 19 – Tuesday July 2nd
Day 20 – Wednesday July 3rd
Want to extend your YPT adventure? Join one of our great tour extensions
• LOI and registration in Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan
• All transport according to the itinerary
• Local English speaking guide
• Western YPT guide
• Accommodation according to itinerary in twin/double share
• Entrance fees to all sites outlined on the itinerary
• Breakfast every day
• Dinner on Day 6 and 10
• Travel arrangements to Tashkent at the start of the tour, and from Ashgabat at the end of the tour
• Visas for Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan
• Meals other than those stipulated (allow up to $10 per meal)
• Drinks at meals
• Single supplement for accommodation (Uzbekistan & Turkmenistan Group A $390, Uzbekistan & Turkmenistan Group B $530)
• Photo/video fees at sites (not at all sites, but usually $2-10 depending on the site)
• Tips for guides (not obligatory, and up to your personal discretion)
• Any other personal expenses such as souvenirs
We have expert guides ready to help answer any questions you may have.