You asked for it and now you have it! For road-trip aficionados and country collectors alike, here’s YPT’s super light-speed version of our 5 ‘Stans tour, taking you around five of the countries in Central Asia: Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan.
As with all YPT group tours, this tour will be led by a Western YPT guide to make sure it goes absolutely smoothly, is run from our office in Almaty by guides with over 6 years experience in Central Asia.
On this tour, we’ll be visiting the main highlights of these countries, giving you the opportunity to sample the flavour (and we do not only mean shashliks) of each of them as well as see the interactions between them.
The tour starts in Ashgabat, where you can opt for an optional city tour of the capital, before heading to Darvaza or the Gates of Hell, the burning crater of Turkmenistan. Then, we cross into Uzbekistan to visit the mythical cities of Bukhara and Samarqand. We’ll cross the border into Tajikistan and visit Dushanbe, the famous Iskanderkul Lake situated in the Fann Mountains, and spend a night at a Soviet sanatorium. We’ll then visit Almaty in Kazakhstan, the most hip city of Central Asia which is in complete contrast with the rest of the region, and from there take a day trip to Charyn Canyon, before ending the tour in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
This tour has been conceived so that you can get a light-speed overview of the region and get massive Central Asian cred! If you’d like to spend slightly longer, a 16-day version is available earlier in the year. And if that wasn’t good enough, YPT returners’ discounts apply!
Sunday, November 15th – (Ashgabat Optional Extension)
Monday November 16th – Ashgabat/Gates of Hell
Tuesday November 17th – Gates of Hell/Ashgabat
Wednesday November 18th – Ashgabat/Turkmenabat/Bukhara
Thursday November 19th – Bukhara/Samarqand
Friday November 20th – Samarqand
Saturday November 21st – Samarqand/Dushanbe
Sunday November 22nd – Dushanbe
Monday November 23rd – Dushanbe/Almaty
Tuesday November 24th – Almaty
Wednesday November 25th – Almaty/Bishkek
Want to extend your YPT adventure? Join one of our great tour extensions
• Letter of Invitation for Turkmenistan
• Registration in Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan
• A/C bus, A/C cars, 4×4’s and train tickets, domestic flight Ashgabat-Turkmenabat
• Local English speaking guides throughout the tour
• Western YPT guides throughout the tour
• Accommodation according to itinerary in twin/double share
• Breakfast at the accommodation every day
• Flight Dushanbe to Almaty (roughly $100-$150 depending on when you book it)
• Visas for all countries (we will provide you with information on this)
• Letter of Invitation other than Turkmenistan (not necessary for most passport holders, but if you do need one we can advise you on this and organise it for you)
• Turkmenistan immigration tax ($14 paid in cash on arrival at the airport)
• Meals other than those stipulated (allow up to around $10 per meal)
• Single supplement for accommodation ($795)
• Entrance fees (many places don’t have entrance fees, those that do are usually no more than $5)
• Photo/video fees at sites (not at all sites, but usually $2-10 depending on the site)
• Tips for guides (not obligatory, and up to your personal discretion)
• Any other personal expenses such as souvenirs and drinks
• Any other activities that are not on the itinerary
• Transport to Ashgabat and from Bishkek at the beginning and end of the tour
We have expert guides ready to help answer any questions you may have.