Mid-September Mass Games Tour
Group A Dates: September 15 - September 21 2013
Group B Dates: September 15 - September 23 2013
Group A Price: 940 Euros // Group B Price: 1195 Euros
Dandong option €795 (Dandong – Pyongyang – Dandong)
This tour takes us to all the Pyongyang classics as well as the east coast and Wonsan, and YPT super specials such as the shooting gallery, department store, and the legendary “diplo”. This tour coincides with the tail end of the Mass Games, and from a weather point of view and numbers of people, is a great time to be here.
As with all tours we are currently offering a free upgrade to flight for the journey in, with us taking the amazing train out as standard, or a small extra charge if your preference is to fly.
Group A can fly out for €50, and Group B for €120
Monday 16th September
- Meet your YPT guide at 2pm on the 3rd floor of the Beijing City Central Hostel to go through the itinerary, receive visas and tickets etc. (Go past front desk and take the lift to the 3rd floor and go left to the bar area).
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 17.25pm for the 24 hour sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
- Train group arrive at Dandong at 7am for Chinese border control then depart for Sinuijiu at 10 am for the same on the DPRK side.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12.55 pm (Check in at counters C11-C15).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 16.00 to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 19.30 to an equally warm welcome.
- Night time city tour- great chance for some pictures!
- Dinner and overnight at the Yangakdo Hotel.
- Walk through Mansudae fountain park and see the mosaic pictures of President Kim Il Sung and the leader Kim Jong Il.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument to show our respects to the President Kim Il Sung and the Leader Kim Jong Il. (Optional extra- you can present flowers if you wish: small bunches are 2 euro, larger ones 4).
- Pyongyang Metro! Ride from Stop 1 to Stop 2 then on to stop 6! Exiting to:
- The Arch of Triumph- The largest Victory Arch on the planet- it celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the return of the general Kim Il Sung to his home city.
- Juche Tower- The tallest stone tower in the world it represents the eternally burning Korean Juche Ideology.
- Monument to the Party Foundation- Built in 1995 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the founding of the worker’s party.
- Lunch at the KITC restaurant in Mangyongdae District.
- Korean War Museum- Let the expert local guide show you around the enormous museum featuring dioramas, locally used weapons, tanks etc, and captured American equipment!
- USS Pueblo- The only US Naval Ship still held captive by another nation.
- Meari shooting range- Your chance to fire a gun in the DPRK! Handguns and rifles!
- Dinner at the famous Lamb BBQ restaurant with performance (participation optional)
- Overnight at the Yanggakdo hotel.
- Kumsusan Palace of the sun- Where President Kim Il Sung and Comrade Kim Jong Il lie in state.
- Korean Film studio- The biggest and most famous film studio in the DPRK.
- Lunch at the Chongryu Hot Pot restaurant.
- Grand People’s study House- Library and academic centre for adult learners, this grand building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over the central Square.
- Foreign Language Bookshop- Shopping central for books, pins, DVD’s, CD’s and periodicals in English and other foreign languages.
Languages, followed by a brisk walk to:
- Kim Il Sung Square- The central square of Pyongyang City.
- Mangyongdae Schoolchildren’s palace- The largest of the schoolchildren’s palaces (extracurricular centres) in the DPRK, we’ll first observe some lessons then watch the amazing performance.
- Drive to Kaesong City.
- Dinner and overnight at the Kaesong Folklore Hotel.
- Koryo Museum- Korea’s first university and now a museum of history and culture. Also home of the best stamp and propaganda poster shop in the DPRK, so don’t forget your wallet!
- The DMZ- See one of the tensest places on earth complete with a friendly KPA officer who will not only give you a guided tour but also keep you safe. Also the only place you can take photographs of and even with a soldier!
- Lunch at the Thongil Restaurant in Kaesong City- try your hand at traditional Korean Pansangi- a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog soup 5 euro, Ginseng Stuffed Whole Chicken 30 euro- can be split between several).
- Tomb of King Kongmin- the only original tomb of it’s kind still standing in the DPRK.
- Drop by Sariwon City (Capital of North Hwanghae province) to walk in the local folkcustom park and view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Photo opportunity of the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification, standing over the Thongil Highway.
- Get back to Pyongyang for dinner at the Famous Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Taedonggan Diplomat’s club- The only place to party late!
- Overnight at the Yangakdo hotel.
- Flight members depart at 09.00 am for Beijing on Air Koryo. (Arriving in Beijing at 09.55 Beijing time).
- Train members depart at 10.10 am for Beijing on train K28 (Arriving in Beijing at 08.30 on the 22nd).
- Drive to Wonsan (4.5 hours including stops).
- Ulim Waterfall- One of the DPRK’s most famous waterfalls and a great place for our picnic lunch.
- Arrive in Wonsan.
- Songdowan International Children’s Union Camp- Summer camp for children both in the DPRK and for international guests.
- Chonsam Co-operative farm- One of the top co-op farms in the East and famous for it’s persimmon production.
- Walk around the central square and near the port in the city.
- Walk out to Chok islet along the pier, where the locals will be enjoying BBQ and plenty of Soju.
- Dinner at the famous Wonsan seafood restaurant in the city.
- Overnight at the Tongmyong Hotel.
- Drive back to Pyongyang.
- Tomb of King Tongmyong- The founder of the Koguryo Dynasty.
- Pyongyang Gold Lane Bowling Alley- one of the top haunts for young Pyongyangites.
- Lunch at the Gold Cup Restaurant.
- Military hardware exhibition hall- showcase building for the DPRK’s military equipment.
- Paradise Department Store.
- Rakwon Microbrewery (.5 euro microbrewed draft pints!)
- Walk along the Taedonggan river.
- Dinner at the Pyongyang Pizza Restaurant (extra charge usually 7-10 euro each).
- Train group leave at 10.10 am Arriving in Beijing at 08.30 on the 24th of September.
- Flyers: Pyongyang Maternity Hospital. Revolutionary Martyr’s Cemetery- The resting place of the greatest of the anti-Japanese revolutionary fighters each grave features a bronze bust of the hero laid to rest within.
- Lunch at Yanggakdo Hotel Revolving Restaurant.
- Mangyongdae Native house- The birthplace of President Kim Il Sung and where he spent the earliest years of his life.
- 3 Revolutions exhibition- A series of museum halls showing the achievements of the 3 revolutions of ideology, technology and culture.
- Depart at 17.20 by Air China.
- Arrive in Beijing at 18.05 (Beijing Time).
Why end your YPT experience with the DPRK? We have a selection of amazing extension opportunities open on this tour. All provide the same fantastic YPT service you find on this DPRK tour, and give you an opportunity to see another country the YPT way.
Let us plan your dream China vacation
1 night, 2 days
3 nights, 4 days