Generalismo Kim Jong Il Birthday Tour
Group A Dates: February 12 - February 19 2013
Group C Dates: February 12 - February 20 2013
Group A Price: 845 Euros // Group C Price: 1145 Euros
A Great time to be in the DPRK with not only Chinese New Year but also the celebrations for the leader Kim Jong Il’s birthday taking place. Celebratory events have yet to be announced but should involve an artistic performance, fireworks and more! Be sure that any special events that are announced will definitely be added to the itinerary!
As with all tours we are currently offering a free upgrade to flight for the journey in (or train if you prefer), with us taking the amazing train out as standard, or a small extra charge if your preference is to fly.
Wednesday February 13th
- Meet your YPT guide at 2pm on the 3rd floor of the Beijing City Central Hostel to go through the itinerary, receive visas and tickets etc. (Go past front desk and take the lift to the 3rd floor and go left to the bar area).
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 17.25pm for the 24 hour sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
- Train group arrive at Dandong at 7am for Chinese border control then depart for Sinuijiu at 10 am for the same on the DPRK side.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12.55 pm (Check in at counters C11-C15).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 16.00 to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 19.30 to an equally warm welcome.
- Your YPT guide will give you a tour of the hotel, before sitting down with the guides for drinks and to go over itinerary.
- Dinner and overnight at the Yanggakdo Hotel.
- Up Nice and early to drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum- Korea’s first university and now a museum of history and culture. Also home of the best stamp and propaganda poster shop in the DPRK, so don’t forget your wallet!
- The DMZ- See one of the tensest places on earth complete with a friendly KPA officer who will not only give you a guided tour but also keep you safe. Also the only place you can take photographs and even with a soldier!
- Lunch at the Thongil Restaurant in Kaesong City- try your hand at traditional Korean Pansangi- a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog soup 5 euro, Ginseng Stuffed Whole Chicken 30 euro- can be split between several).
- Tomb of King Kongmin- the only original tomb of it’s kind still standing in the DPRK.
- Photo opportunity of the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification, standing over the Thongil Highway.
- Meari Shooting range- Fire handguns or rifles at targets or birds!
- Dinner at the Famous Lamb BBQ restaurant with performance!
- Overnight at the Yangakdo hotel.
- Optional visit to the Taedonggan Beer Bar.
16th (Sat) – Day of the Shining Star!
- Take a quick walk through Mansudae Fountain Park and see the new mosaic pictures of the Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument to show our respects to the President Kim Il Sung and the Leader Kim Jong Il. (Optional extra- you can present flowers if you wish: small bunches are 2 euro, larger ones 4).
- Visit the Kimjongilia Flower show- featuring floral displays gifted to the Leader Kim Jong Il for his birthday.
- Juche Tower- The tallest stone tower in the world it represents the eternally burning Korean Juche Ideology.
- Lunch at the original KITC Restaurant.
- Commemorative Birthday events (TBA- usually features the figure skating festival 20-30 euro extra, or Synchronized swimming performance (20 euro extra) or an orchestra Performance- Guests will be able to choose which event to attend)
- Expected Mass dance- Location TBC
- Dinner at the Rungna Island Funfair restaurant.
- Rungna Island funfair- the newest Funfair in Pyongyang! (entry included, Rides 1.5-3 euro extra)
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun- Where Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lie in state
- Grand People’s Study House- Library and academic centre for adult learners, this grand building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over the central Square.
- Monument to the Party Foundation.
- Lunch at the KITC Restaurant.
- Military Hardware Exhibition Centre- Hall displaying the DPRK’s latest military hardware.
- Foreign Language Bookshop- Shopping central for books, pins, DVD’s, CD’s and periodicals in English and other foreign Languages, followed by a brisk walk to:
- Kim Il Sung Square- The central square of Pyongyang City.
- Pyongyang Metro! Ride from Stop 1 to Stop 2 then on to stop 6! Exiting to:
- The Arch of Triumph- The largest Victory Arch on the planet- it celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the return of the general Kim Il Sung to his home city.
- Schoolchildren’s palace performance.
- Dinner at the Famous Duck BBQ restaurants
- Rakwon Paradise Microbrewery- Home of the .5 euro micro-brewed Draft pint!
- Taedonggan diplomats club for the farewell party.
- Train members depart at 10.10 am (arriving in Beijing at 08.30 am on the 19th of February)
- Korean Film Studio
- Korean war Monument.
- Lunch at the Yanggakdo hotel revolving restaurant.
- Paradise department store
- 3 Revolutions exhibition- showcasing the advancements made in the area of the 3 revolutions- Technology, Culture and Ideology.
- Depart Pyongyang at 17.25 on Air China (Arriving in Beijing at 18.05 Beijing Time)
- Group B drive to Anju County
- Overnight in the countryside at Anju County
- Up early for visit to the International Friendship Exibition
- Visit operating Buddhist temple
- Lunch at the Hyangsan Hotel
- Drive back to Pyongyang, enjoying he mountain scenery on the way
- Visit to the 3 revolutions exhibit, showcasing the achievements of the DPRK
- Visit the newly opened Military Hardware Exhibition
- Visit the Daesang Department Store
- Dinner the legendary Pizza Restaurant (extra charge)
- Drinks and overnight at the Youth Hotel, which hosted the 1989 world festival of youth and students
- Train members depart at 10.10 am for Beijing on train K28.
- Korean Victorious War monument- monument to the victory in the Korean war.
- Mansudae Art Studio- Birthplace of most of Korea’s greatest art works including the Mansudae grand monuments.
- Lunch at the Revolving Restaurant of the Yanggakdo hotel.
- Pyongyang Number 1 Middle School
- Flight members depart at 17.20 am for Beijing on Air China.
- Flyers arrive in Beijing at 18.30 am Beijing time. (Pyongyang is one hour ahead of Beijing).
- 8.30 arrival in Beijing for train people.