- 4:30 Pick up from hotel, transfer to airport (if there is a later flight we can use that instead, in which case you can be collected around 7:00 instead).
- Flight to Mary.
- Sightseeing in ancient Merv with a local English speaking guide.
- Merv is the oldest and best preserved ancient oasis city along the Silk Road. Now UNESCO listed, several areas of the city are able to be visited, each part showcasing a different aspect of the rich history of the area. There are towers, city walls, fortresses, temples and mausoleums, the most notable of which is that of Sultan Sandzhar Dar-al-Akhir which reaches forty metres into the sky, topped by an almost completely intact brick dome. Legend has it that he unknowingly married a fairy and when he discovered what she was, she left him and returned to heaven. He begged her to stay though and she compromised by promising that if he built her a special building, she would return as a pigeon for one night a year for the rest of eternity. This building became the Sultan’s mausoleum and locals believe that the small hole in the top of the dome, directly over Sanzhar’s grave, is for the fairy pigeon to come down to her husband.
- Visit the modern city of Mary.
- Stop at the Mary Museum if there is time.
- Return to the airport to catch the 18:55 return flight to Ashgabat.
- Arrive in Ashgabat, transfer to the hotel.
- 1 pax $395 per person
- 2-3 pax $295 per person
- 4 + pax $255 per person
- A/C transportation service as per itinerary
- Flight tickets Ashgabat-Mary-Ashgabat
- Local English speaking guide during the day
- Accommodation in Ashgabat (this will be counted separately as per your specific situation)
- Entrance fee to Merv
- Entrance fee to Mary Museum
- Meals during the day